- Ipswich Borough Council
- Place of work:
- Salary details:
- £27,526 pa
- Job term:
- Full Time
- Fixed Term
- Closing date:
- 04 January 2019 05:00 PM
Fixed term contract for 18 months.
The Project Officer position sits within the council's new Major Capital Schemes operational area. The service is responsible for the implementation and delivery of major capital construction projects that fall within the borough's remit. This varies from building new homes through to building new car parks and refurbishing existing buildings.
You will be responsible for assisting in the delivery of construction projects on the following:
- Sports centres
- Swimming pools
- A Grade 1 listed mansion
- The Town Hall and Corn Exchange
- New office blocks
- The new house building programme and key strategic developments outside of the operational estate.
The role will require that you have very good organisational skills, a good familiarity, use and understanding of everyday IT packages, and some technical building knowledge. You should also understand or be familiar with the administration and tasks involved in the procurement of a building contract.
All major capital projects are within a 10-mile radius of Ipswich, with the vast majority of projects being within the borough boundary.
You will play a pivotal role in supporting the programme managers in delivering major capital projects, with budgets ranging from £100k to £10 million.
You should therefore have a background in administrative management and / or the construction industry and be able to provide the necessary support in developing projects in line with the council's internal standard systems, including financial, procurement and project management.
Working from the council's head office, Grafton House, you will be able to manage your time effectively and deliver the necessary project-related tasks. This may involve an early start on some occasions and occasional evening meetings to help facilitate a public consultation event or to attend site meetings.
Daily tasks will be wide ranging from site inspections and visits to report writing and project management activities.
You will have either a degree level education or an NVQ Level 6 in Construction (or project related management) and 3 years qualitative experience. You must also have evidence of continued professional development. You will need to be computer literate and be a good communicator. Evidence of working within a council environment (or similar working environment) and being able to comfortably make decisions would be a distinct advantage.
You will have:
- very good organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise workloads that have conflicting deadlines
- excellent decision-making skills
- good communication skills (written and verbal)
- ability to work as part of a team and can also work on your own initiative
- ability to create positive working relationships with people from a variety of backgrounds.
You will have:
- excellent IT skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- an understanding of local authority decision making process
- political awareness
- report / tender specification writing
- good analytical skills
- benefits include
- a contributory pension scheme
- subsidised car parking
- public transport season ticket loans scheme
- generous annual leave entitlement
- confidential employee assistance programme providing advice to employees including access to counselling and legal advice.
For more information about these roles, please contact Tim Hearne on (01473) 433330 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply online at: www.ipswich.gov.uk/jobs where you will need to log in or sign up to 'My Ipswich' to complete the online application form for this vacancy.
Interview date: w/c 14 January 2019.
The selection process will involve a separate interview and assessment, to be held on the same day.