- Myland English Hub
- Place of work:
- See Advert Details
- Salary details:
- Job term:
- Part Time
- Fixed Term
- Closing date:
- 07 July 2020 04:00 PM
Fixed term for one year with the possibility of extension.
Required from September 2020 (or as soon as possible thereafter).
Myland English Hub, based at Myland Community Primary School in Colchester, is seeking to add to our cohort of expert primary school teachers to develop and work as Primary Literacy Specialists.
The attached Application Pack gives information about the programme and how teachers and their schools can apply to be involved.
In September 2018, the Department for Education announced 34 English Hubs. This network of some of the best performing primary schools has been set up to improve reading standards across the country and improve education outcomes for the most disadvantaged children, particularly in underperforming schools.
The benefits for participating teachers and their schools:
- The Literacy Specialists are at the heart of the English Hub Offer.
- You will benefit from a national training programme in order to become an expert in teaching early language and reading in Reception and Key Stage 1.
- Participating in the programme will provide the following benefits to you and your school.
You will develop:
- an understanding of excellent practice in teaching early language and literacy, with a particular focus on Systematic Synthetic Phonics
- skills of teaching, planning and assessment in order to effectively support pupils to make excellent progress
- an ability to support teachers, within their own school and in other schools, to improve standards.
You will have the opportunity to work closely with the national English Hubs Training Centre, the Myland English Hub team and the national and local communities of Literacy Specialists.
Your school will benefit from high quality and sustained support in embedding outstanding early language and literacy teaching across the school.
You must meet the following criteria:
- Qualified Teacher Status
- Employed as a teacher in a Primary/Infant/Junior school and regularly teaching phonics to the same class of children at least three days/week with consistently good or better outcomes
- Able to fulfil the programme requirements and time commitment outlined in the attached document
- Highly effective teaching skills in early language and literacy as evidenced by internal/external/Ofsted observation
- Passion and enthusiasm for teaching Systematic Synthetic Phonics
- Ability to work collaboratively with others
- Successful track record of working effectively with other professionals in their own school
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- An understanding of what constitutes effective early language and literacy teaching and the ability and confidence to communicate this
- An understanding of the importance of fidelity when teaching a phonics programme and having decodable books which match the phonetic sounds children have been taught.
Myland English Hub will look to appoint Literacy Specialists that meet the criteria as set out above, but also fit into the Hub's strategic plan for developing early language and literacy teaching across the following geographical areas:
- Essex (NE, Mid, South and West quadrants); Suffolk (including Babergh, Ipswich, Suffolk Coastal, Waveney and Mid Suffolk).
For an informal discussion about the post, please contact Rebecca Jarrett, Hub Lead on (01206) 852109.
An application pack can be downloaded from the related information section.
All applications must be made via the Hub application form contained in the pack and returned to: email@example.com or posted to: Myland Primary School, Mill Road, Colchester, Essex CO4 5LD